If you’re in the SaaS and technology industry, you’ve likely come across the term ‘inside sales’ before – but what does it mean? Understanding the term is essential in utilizing the many benefits this method of sales can bring to the tables, as well as ensuring you’re getting the very best out of your inside sales reps.
If you’re unsure as to what the difference between inside sales vs outside sales is, then keep reading. Our easy guide to this popular sales technique will help you understand exactly what an inside sales rep does, as well as the benefits of outsourcing.
What is inside sales?
Inside sales is a prominent sales method in the SaaS industry. In short, it’s where a salesperson pitches to prospects via remote methods such as phone calls, email, and social media channels rather than a face-to-face meeting. This sales model differs from the traditional method of pursuing prospective clients in person, which is known to outside sales.
What does an inside sales rep do?
An SDR that specializes in inside sales will usually require a different skillset and toolkit compared to one that centres around outside sales. An inside sales rep communicates primarily using technology, with phone calls being their main point of contact.
So, what does an inside sales rep do? Here are some of the responsibilities of an SDR:
- Following up on inbound leads, which come from the likes of social media, blogs, and website downloads.
- Finding prospects on platforms like LinkedIn, ensuring they have the best possible point of contact
- Cold calling
- Lead nurturing and building rapport with clients
Both types of SDR will require great communication skills, charisma, and resilience against rejection, although those with a focus on inside sales may need to be more tech-savvy.
Benefits of inside sales vs outside sales
Inside sales has become increasingly popular in the B2B software industry; given the many benefits, this should come as no surprise. The main perks of utilizing an inside sales model include:
- Faster response time – while meeting face-to-face with clients has a multitude of benefits, lead generation via inside sales is much more efficient. A phone call or email requires less organization and preparation than a meeting, not to mention the travel time and costs that come with the latter. This ensures leads are nurtured before they go cold.
- Focus on selling – Research shows that SDRs who focus on inside sides spend more time selling than outside sales representatives, likely due to the latter having to travel back and forth to clients.
- Remote working – outside sales can often be location-specific, as you’ll need reps to be within commuting distance from your main client base. Inside reps, on the other hand, can work from anywhere – even if their market is another region altogether. The multilingual team at Operatix, for example, can sell in 109 countries and three continents while being based in the UK and US.
However, when comparing inside sales vs outside sales, it’s important to consider the benefits of the latter:
- Strong customer relationships – while it goes without saying that customer relationships can be built over the phone, it can be trickier to make a solid connection over email and social media channels. Meeting someone in person
- Communication – meeting face-to-face allows for improved communication and for the salesperson to read the prospect’s body language when pitching. This will allow the salesperson to adjust the conversation based on body language, e.g. if they react positively to part of the pitch, they can pursue that area of the product.
- Product demonstrations – it’s much easier to show off what the product your salesperson is pitching in person, allowing for demos.
All things considered, a hybrid approach that utilizes both types of selling can be highly effective in both generating and securing leads. However, inside sales representatives have more reach and are more efficient in their methods, as well as being more cost-effective.
Should I outsource my inside sales?
Outsourcing inside sales is a great way of generating and securing leads, as well as branching into different markets. For example, your in-house sales team is unlikely to be able to reach different continents without there being a great cost to the company.
Here at Operatix, we can take on your inside sales and further your reach. With knowledge of cultural differences and policies, our team speaks over 17 languages, allowing them to sell in over 109 countries.
Not only can you enter new markets by outsourcing your inside sales, but you don’t have to worry about the cost of building a new team. Recruitment, training, and building the necessary tech stack is not only costly but can take a lot of time. By outsourcing, you benefit from an experienced team of SDRs who are ready and raring to go.
Get in touch with Operatix to see how our knowledgeable team can help you with your inside sales.